Sunday, July 8, 2012

amsterdam


Out of all the cities in the world, Amsterdam is definitely on my "yeah, I would live here" list. It is an old city with more than its share of history and beauty. Public transportation is highly efficient and easy to understand, but that doesn't matter much because everyone bikes. We've seen all sorts taking to the bike lanes this week, from children to oldsters, to couples holding hands under an umbrella, to texting locals. There are no horns, no road rage. It is a calming lifestyle. Plus the wine is cheap and delicious, and the parks to drink it in are numerous and gorgeous.

Chris and I are currently lounging in our newest hotel, the hotel de filosoof, just outside of the old center of Amsterdam. We are happy to have our own bedroom and bathroom, and are very excited to not have to pretend to be young and hip. Going to bed early can be cool, too.  We have spent 4 days in this beautiful city and have walked it all. There was the exception when we took a paddleboat out on the canals. This was a sweaty, and somewhat fight provoking way to see Amsterdam, but some tunes, sunscreen and "cool american" doritos helped that trip become one of my favorite memories.

Chris will share in more detail the things we've seen and done.  But for now I will say that I love this city. I love the canals between streets. I love the architecture, old and new, crooked and straight. I love the quirky attitude and the tolerant style of the coffee shops and the red light district. I love the kind strangers on the street. I am happy in Amsterdam. Yeah, I would live here.

many missings to our midwesterners,
lovefromkt



1 comment: