Tuesday, July 24, 2012

the day we got engaged


7.20.12  karteros, crete


our hotel was 100m away from the bluest sea and softest sand imaginable. the day was hot and the wind wasn't cool enough for comfort, so we headed to the water to soothe sunburned skin. the tide was strong and the waves were tall and we laughed as they knocked us around and we failed to keep our hands grasped.

we could see them coming: three enormous waves were building before us. we locked hands and eyes and i braced myself for the inevitable battle to keep the salt water out of my nose. he looks at me, and in that brief calm shouts "marry me!"

before i can think or smile or breathe my face is slammed by an enormous wave and i'm flipped upside down in the cretan sea, literally swept off my feet. when i'm finally able to find the air i am completely disoriented, and i reply with a heartily romantic, "whaaaat?!"



"will you marry me?"

wave number two hits and i am flying face first into the sand once again. but this time before i am able to wipe the salt water from my eyes, or even open them to find him, i shout back.

YES!

that third wave devoured our first kiss as fiance and fiance. worth it, salt water and all.




3 comments: